Wednesday 21 January 2009

The 44th President Barack Obama



Story:

In 2009 inauguration of Barack Obama as the forty-fourth President of the United States took place on January 20, 2009, under the provisions of the Twentieth Amendment to the United States Constitution. The inauguration marked the commencement of the four-year term of Barack Obama and Joseph Biden as President and Vice President, respectively. The theme of the inauguration was "A New Birth of Freedom", commemorating the 200th anniversary of the birth of Abraham Lincoln.
Official inauguration events commenced on January 17 with a train ride beginning in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and stopping in Wilmington, Delaware, and Baltimore, Maryland, before continuing on to Washington, D.C. According to a federal security official, the initial estimate for the number of attendees to the swearing in ceremony was around 1.8 million people. Events were scheduled in Washington from January 18 to 21, 2009.

Richard’s Quotes:

I arrived at home, I had to put BBC One on, I was writing in my diary. I really couldn’t wait for Barack Obama’s speech. I had to use my American flag because I was watching in my bedroom with my American flag on my wall. I was so nervous that he will be the president, I cried the American national anthem with Aretha Franklin, it was so lovely. I was happy for this new president of the United States.

By Richard Moody

No comments: