Monday 12 October 2009

Stephen Gately 1976 - 2009




In 1994 I was at Meadowhall in Sheffield in the Oasis and I looked at the big screen TV. A Boyzone music video called “Love Me for the Reason” was on and I always thought that they were British not realizing that they were Irish.
When I was listening to “Father and Son by Boyzone” the song was originally by Cat Stevens back in 1970. I remember I was reading a book called “The Chris Farley Show: A Biography in Three Acts.” The bit where Chris Farley listens to “Father and Son by Cat Stevens,” it made Chris Farley cry as that is what he wrote in his book.
In 1997 when I went to see “Bean: The Ultimate Disaster Movie” at the end of credits in the movie was song called “Picture Of You by Boyzone” Also Rowan Atkinson was in the music video.
I remember the group Boyzone was in a music video in a small part with Bono called “Sweetest Thing by U2.” That’s one of my favourite U2 songs. When Boyzone split up in 2000 Stephen Gately made a single called “Bright Eyes” taken from a Children’s TV Programme Watership Down 1999 to 2001.
In 2008 Boyzone came back with a new song called “Love You Anyway” and in College my tutors were glad to see them back.
On October 11, 2009 I saw on ITV News that Stephen Gately was found dead in Majorca, Spain in the hotel. When I heard the news about him I thought to myself “this can’t be happening just can’t be happening” I used to like him. If only he'd have lived a long full life, he'd have made so many more great songs.

By Richard Moody

No comments: